Sunday 20 July 2014

I's has static IP!

Please ignore the bad grammar in the title - its an injoke. Unfortunately the person I shared the injoke with is no longer a part of my life, for various reasons.

I just found something quite interesting - my old Exetel prepaid SIM, still in the Huawei modem I got it in. That SIM, as far as I aware, is still registered, and still has a static IP.

Here at the student accommodation, I am behind a firewall that I am not able to configure, so I'm not able to punch holes in it for pertinent ports of interest (17060 anyone?). Additionally, since I do not control this connection, if it goes down for any reason, I'm stuck without internet for the interim.

Of course, the EdgeRouter Lite 3 port model is now shipping in a steel box. This has three routable ports on it, so one becomes connection to DSL, the next to cellular, and the last to my internal network. That'll easily configure for failover in the case of DSL outage. I can also open certain ports on the Exetel connection that interest me, although at 2GB of data at a time, I wouldn't want to be using it excessively, such is the woeful state of cellular data in Australia.

Of course, all I need is an ethernet modem - I fried one before I left Lithgow, which annoyed me. I'll get there though, I'm sure I can splash out another $100 or so, depending.

Now to buy crap...!

No comments:

Post a Comment